Re: [AD] giftware license

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 00:31 +0100, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> On 2004-09-22, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > [...] Or maybe they don't - then at least we know that the license
> > is not officially open source compatible :P
>
> Interestingly, how do you change the license of something which
> is not owned by a single person/entity? You ask everybody who
> contributed to it and get it signed on paper. Now, does somebody here
> remember the dodgy way Shawn licensed Allegro under giftware terms?
> >From a strictly legal point of view I would say parts of Allegro
> still might be under swapware license. For a reference read the
> full page at:
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=8450528

What? Allegro *wasn't* always giftware? And it was used in the firmware
of an arcade machine?

> Haha, I can't belive my stupid answer too that.

Hehe. Actually, your reply makes me wonder.. maybe every portion of code
is under the copyright of whoever wrote it? That reply I got on
opensource.org seems to suggest that.. and Allegro has no clause like
"by submitting code to Allegro you agree to put it under Allegro's
license" or something like that. If there ever should be a lawsuit
concerning the rights to Allegro's code, that definitely would be
funny..

--
Elias Pschernig