Re: [AD] giftware license

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 00:57 +0200, Michal Molhanec wrote:
> Ryan Norton wrote:
> > Right.
> >
> > That license sounds pretty good to me, isn't there an OSI one that does
> > just just this?
>
> I'm searching. The complete list of OSI licences is at
> http://opensource.org/licenses .
>
> New version, there was bad wording in the original version:
> The Allegro License
>
> Copyright (c) 2004 by authors of Allegro, see AUTHORS file for complete list
>
> Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person to do
> whatever he or she wants with any part of the Allegro library
> (including, but not limited to, source files, documentation and data
> files) without any restriction, including, but not limited to, to use,
> copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies
> of the Allegro library.
>
> THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS
> OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
> MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
> IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
> CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT,
> TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE
> SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

In that case.. we could as well keep the current one, I guess. Anyway,
here's a very detailed reply I got on the opensource.org list:

http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:8720:ncnfkeknbbmhcknnelja

He even posted a (not existing) FAQ entry concerning public domain
there. And it seems there actually is no OSD license which is the same
as the current Allegro one or the one above - since it is questionable
for some people if it is a license, apparently.

I'll shut up now about this. I didn't expect anything like that.. at
least I know now what "public domain" means :)

--
Elias Pschernig