Re: [AD] giftware license

On 2004-09-25, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What? Allegro *wasn't* always giftware? And it was used in the
> firmware of an arcade machine?

Amazing, isn't it? IIRC I actually sent Shawn my autoexec.bat because
he said that "anything" was ok... He, swap a text file for a game
library. The good old days... before lawyers.

> Hehe. Actually, your reply makes me wonder.. maybe every portion
> of code is under the copyright of whoever wrote it? That reply
> I got on opensource.org seems to suggest that..

Peter replied not long ago saying the same. I think he is correct.

> If there ever should be a lawsuit concerning the rights to
> Allegro's code, that definitely would be funny..

Hmmm... wasn't the original poster concerned about the license saying
nothing about liability? All the released documentation starts with
a disclaimer. Maybe if we put that on the license page that would
make such people happy?

Personally I couldn't care less. But for those interested in having a
correctly licensed Allegro, the more cost effective solution right
now seems to contribute to the new_api_branch and make sure all
new code is under xxxx or zzzz license and that there is no old
code in there. That would effectively make it a rewrite and avoid
the old legacy code license problem altogether.