Re: [AD] proposed patch for nicer asm symbols exports

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004, Peter Wang wrote:

> BTW, I was under the impression that the Debian folks were very careful
> about not having any non-PIC code in shared libraries?  There was some
> trouble with the DGA2 module, which linked to libXxf86dga, and at that
> time libXxf86dga was only available in the statically linked flavour.  I
> don't know the full story though.

   You are perfectly right, and libXxf86dga is still only available as a
static library because its API is not stable. There is a Debian-specific
patch I did not post here that links to libXxf86dga_pic.a instead of
libXxf86dga.a when found. I don't think anyone ships _pic static libs
apart from Debian, so I did not post it here.

> I also wanted to point out this patch of your patch: doesn't this mean
> your users' Allegro binaries will have unnecessary dependencies?

   Not AFAIK, but you're right, the additional ${allegro_libs} is not
really needed.

--
Sam.