Re: [AD] proposed patch for nicer asm symbols exports

Sam Hocevar wrote:

  This simple patch makes the linker's life easier when dealing with
functions defined in .s files, by setting their type. It also lets
these functions be put in a shared library instead of alleg_unsharable.
(and in case you wonder, yes, my goal in life is to get totally rid of
alleg_unsharable).

As good a goal as any :-)

Can you explain this a bit more deeply, or point to a document somewhere? I don't understand assembly at all, and I never understood why liballeg_unsharable existed in the first place (maybe something to do with calling conventions or addressing modes?). It's one of those mysteries that would be great to have up on the wiki.

Peter