Re: [AD] proposed patch for nicer asm symbols exports

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004, Peter Wang wrote:

> >  - provide the main() function on Unix, because the main() from the
> >    original program has been diverted to __mangled_main_address.
>
> Well, this part is not right.  main() is in liballeg.so as far as I can see.

   Ah, you're right. I was confusing with another problem.

> >  However, on x86 library code need not be compiled with -fPIC because
> >the architecture allows linking non-PIC code with PIC code in the same
> >object. And we do not provide assembly routines on platforms that do not
> >allow this linking (such as Alpha, IA64, HPPA).
>
> Ok, great.  I suppose the linking of non-PIC and PIC code only works if
> your patch is applied?  Sorry if it's a dumb question.

   No, it works all the time on x86. Neither ld nor the runtime linker
ever complain about it.

> If you send me a patch for misc/deplib.sh and other files for getting
> rid of liballeg_unsharable completely, I'll apply it unless there are
> objections.  Assembly routines won't be provided for non-x86 machines
> any time soon.

   Attached is the patch I apply to Debian packages. You might want to
get rid of unused code at the beginning of misc/deplib.sh, but I like to
keep it this way just to remember that there was this unsharable stuff.
If you decide to apply such a patch, let me know and I'll provide a more
polished one.

Regards,
--
Sam.