Re: [AD] Magic main in Windows

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 18:30 +0200, Daniel Schlyder wrote:
> Evert Glebbeek:
> > Tested under Windows 98 with a year-old MinGW (gcc 3.2.3) and Allegro 4.1.12,
> > this program compiles without warnings and runs as would be expected, both from
> > a terminal and from the file manager, rather to my surprise.
>
> Also works fine under Windows XP with latest MinGW (GCC 3.4.1) and Allegro
> 4.1.14.

We should try it with MSVC I guess. It looks like normal main() just
works in Windows. Oh, and I'm cc-ing this to Eric, he is the windows
expert, maybe he remembers a reason why END_OF_MAIN is needed there.

> > So why exactly do we need END_OF_MAIN() in Windows?
>
> No idea. SDL also hides WinMain() but doesn't require the use of a macro. I
> don't remember how they do it; maybe worth examining.

Yes, definitely could be worth examining. But from the above tests it
looks WinMain simply isn't needed in windows programs at all.

--
Elias Pschernig