[AD] Magic main in Windows

Partially in response to Peter's question about what happens if a Windows
program tries to start with a regular main rather than a winmain function, I
tried the following test program:

#define ALLEGRO_NO_MAGIC_MAIN
#include <allegro.h>

int main(void)
{
	allegro_init();
	install_keyboard();

	set_gfx_mode(GFX_AUTODETECT_WINDOWED, 320, 200, 0, 0);

	readkey();

	return 0;
}

Tested under Windows 98 with a year-old MinGW (gcc 3.2.3) and Allegro 4.1.12,
this program compiles without warnings and runs as would be expected, both from
a terminal and from the file manager, rather to my surprise.
So why exactly do we need END_OF_MAIN() in Windows?
If it turns out that we can do without it, then I say we throw it out...

Evert