Re: [AD] Magic main in Windows

Daniel Schlyder wrote:
Hum, I don't understand why you mention the command line. All the novice PC
users I've helped set up computers for, heavily used the "My Documents" folder.
It's one of the top items in Explorer and on the Start menu.

Besides having a folder called "My Documents" holding game data and config info (a misnomer if I ever saw one), it adds nothing but confusion. Like if a game says to edit the config file, one would obviously ask.. "Where's the config file?" It'd be a lot easier and simpler to say "where you extracted the program" than "look in C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\My Documents\Application Data\(program name)". Microsoft should be shot for having a directory structure like that. Of course it doesn't help that most Windows users don't even know that that's partly the same as clicking My Documents in the start menu.

Please don't blow this out of proportions. It takes about five minutes to
create a professionally looking installer using, for example, Inno Setup, and I
don't see how it could possibly confuse the end user. To the contrary, I would
think most of them would prefer an installer to an archive that they might not
know how to unpack, or where to, or what to do next.

Windows users might prefer installers so that it hides the nitty gritty details that it's throwing files around every which way, but as a Linux user, I personally don't like installers for that very reason (besides being plain uncommon). If something goes wrong and I need to uninstall it, I'd like to be able to just run 'rm -rf <directory>'.. not another program given by the possibly buggy installer/main program and hope it doesn't choke on something. It's also very counter-intuitive to do for source distributions.

That's not to say I think installers are inherently bad. I just think that having an (un)installer is a poor reason to be able to throw files anywhere on the drive.

- Kitty Cat