Re: [AD] Magic main in Windows

Daniel Schlyder wrote:
The macro for single user variable game data should also be defined on Windows:

2000/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\My Games\PROGRAM
     9x: C:\My Documents\My Games\PROGRAM

(The "My Games" dir was introduced in Windows 2000 or XP, I think, but can be
created by the function if it doesn't exist.)

I really, really don't like this idea. I prefer all my game data and config files to be in the same directory as the game. And since most Allegro programs are simply "unzip, (compile}, run", having end users have to move data around to simply get the game to run (or forcing the programmer to make an installer), is very bad, IMO. As well, it would make uninstallation harder since you now have to go hunting around for extra datafiles instead of just deleting the directory.

The only reason having config files in ~/.something is acceptable in Linux/Unix is that most people using these systems use the command line anyway.. so it's the difference of typing 'nano <path_to_program>/config.cfg' or 'nano ~/.program/config.cfg'. On Windows however, this becomes much more complex since there is no home directory shortcut like ~ in Unix, and most users aren't savvy enough to know where to look.. plus they rarely use the command line so they'd have to stumble around explorer.

Allegro games generally aren't professional level games with installers, uninstallers, extensive in-game config systems, etc.. so having it available to the normal programmer will just confuse things a lot more for both him and the end user. And the games that do reach that level of completion can still do it themselves since Allegro doesn't do anything to stop it. I just don't think it should be encouraged.

- Kitty Cat