Re: [AD] m4 macro for allegro

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 13:00 +0200, Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 12:51:42PM +0200, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> > Shouldn't we put allegro.m4 into the misc directory? Else if confuses
> > someone trying to understand Allegro's build process.
>
> Hmm... yes, you're probably right.
>
> > (And I'm with Eric
> > in not understanding its purpose.)
>
> It facilitates configure checks for programs that want to know if a specific
> version of Allegro is available on the target system. Currently, I do
> this by trying to run allegro_config and analysing the output of
> allegro_config --version, but having an easier way to do this from my
> own configure script is something I would see gladly.

But, to use this, it is essential that it works with the earlist
possible allegro version? So now, you first have to check for the
existence of that .m4, then if it doesn't exist, run your --version
check anyway.

But well, I'm just completely inexperienced with using autoconf and so
on. And allegro itself never seems to use an external .m4 macro when
checking for the presence of various other libraries.

--
Elias Pschernig