Re: [AD] m4 macro for allegro

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 01:06:03PM +0200, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> But, to use this, it is essential that it works with the earlist
> possible allegro version?

No, I think it is sufficient if it works with whatever version it is
first shipped with. Regardless, I think it will work if you tried using
it now with 4.0.0

> So now, you first have to check for the
> existence of that .m4, then if it doesn't exist, run your --version
> check anyway.

I suspect the check simply fails if the allegro.m4 macro is not
installed on the target system. If it is shipped with Allegro and the
check fails, then apparently Allegro wasn't installed, or there is an
old version present.
What could be a concern is an install in a non-standard location, such
as on a system where the user doesn't have root acces.

> But well, I'm just completely inexperienced with using autoconf and so
> on. And allegro itself never seems to use an external .m4 macro when
> checking for the presence of various other libraries.

You don't need to use it, but it's there as a bonus if you want it.
That's how I see it at least.

Evert