Re: [AD] m4 macro for allegro

Eric Botcazou wrote:

Committed to mainline. I see no reason it couldn't be applied to branch
too, but I'll wait if Eric has something to say about that or until it
becomes time to decide what to backport for 4.0.4.

I still don't understand what is the purpose of the macro. Allegro itself talks to many libraries under Unix and doesn't use this construct.

Allegro mostly uses X11 libraries which dont have m4 macros, iirc, and normal system libraries that every unix installation should have anyway. It could take advantage of the esd.m4, alsa.m4, and maybe other m4 macros that are used to build the modules. Currently someone hardcoded aclocal.m4 to test for all the modules, but most of these libraries( well I can only account for esd and alsa ) have their own m4 macros in /usr/share/aclocal. I cant say its "better" to use these macros, but thats what they are there for.

Rather than have people who want to use Allegro hack together their own m4 macro just like Allegro has for esd and alsa, it would be better to supply an m4 macro. God knows its hard enough to write one of these things yourself.