Re: [AD] Mac news

> Isn't the configure machinery also intended to detect the presence of
> certain packages and options?

Sure, but do we need that for MacOS X? Are there x different graphics libs
and y different sound drivers on MacOS X?

> If we don't use configure, how do people indicate they want a debug
> library?

Like on every other non-Unix port (DJGPP, Watcom, Borland, MSVC, Cygwin,
MinGW, BeOS, QNX and so on): make DEBUGMODE=1.

> If it's using environment variables, that doesn't seem very friendly to me
> when configure is also an option.

It's actually the other way around: the configure machinery is currently a
mess when you want to build anything else than the default library. You need
to reconfigure each time you change the options and it is riddled with
non-obvious dependencies.

> Then again, I don't know how difficult it is to adapt the configure
> machinery, but considering that MacOS X is basically unix below the
> graphical shell, I would imagine that it wouldn't be so hard. If I'm plain
> wrong, ignore this email :-)

The configure machinery is nice when you have one codebase that must run on
several platforms. It's not the case for the MacOS X port.

--
Eric Botcazou