Re: [AD] Mac news

Eric Botcazou wrote:

> > I'd be nice if we can also make the library to compile via a makefile
> > generated on the fly by configure; Eric, maybe you can help here as I
> > really don't know how that stuff works.
>
> Is that really a requirement? I mean, the configure machinery is an
> excessively fragile stuff and is intended to insulate you from the subtle
> variations of Unices. Now the MacOS X port runs only on MacOS X so we
> shouldn't have to care about variations here.

Isn't the configure machinery also intended to detect the presence of
certain packages and options? I think it would be much nicer (even
though I don't have a mac) if the macOS X port also used
it. Immediately standardizes the ways to produce the different
libraries, options, etc. If we don't use configure, how do people
indicate they want a debug library? If it's using environment
variables, that doesn't seem very friendly to me when configure is
also an option.

Then again, I don't know how difficult it is
to adapt the configure machinery, but considering that MacOS X is
basically unix below the graphical shell, I would imagine that it
wouldn't be so hard. If I'm plain wrong, ignore this email :-)

Hein

 Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who
 it's friends are.

 Hein Zelle                     hein@xxxxxxxxxx
	                        http://www.icce.rug.nl/~hein