Re: [AD] Mac news

> - Proper os version detection; as I was there, I also made the grabber to
> show it in the system info dialog :P

Fine.

> - MIDI driver. This is based on the old Mac port driver by Ronaldo Hideki
> Yamada; his driver was still not complete (buggy), but I fixed it and now
> it sounds as it should. BTW, should I backport it to the old Mac port? I
> have no way to test it though as I have only OS X installed...

Yes, try to backport it if you can, having two versions of the same code side
by side is dangerous. And don't worry about testing, the MacOS 9 port is
defunct.

> I'd be nice if we can also make the library to compile via a makefile
> generated on the fly by configure; Eric, maybe you can help here as I
> really don't know how that stuff works.

Is that really a requirement? I mean, the configure machinery is an
excessively fragile stuff and is intended to insulate you from the subtle
variations of Unices. Now the MacOS X port runs only on MacOS X so we
shouldn't have to care about variations here.

> It'd also be nice if there'd be an install-framework target that builds
> and installs a framework for the lib... Frameworks are library containers
> under OSX: they hold one or more versions of the lib (to solve the ABI
> issue) and the headers, all in one packet (that is actually structured as
> a normal directory with a precise layout). IDEs under OSX work with
> frameworks naturally, i.e. if you need a lib in your project, you just
> need to add its framework to it, and you're ready to use it.

Adrian Sampson posted something like that about a month ago:
http://adrian.pygmysoftware.com/XAllegTemp.tgz (about 5k)

Is that what you're talking about?

P.S. (about the exunicod example): the Unicode support of the library might
be in better shape than I initially thought on big-endian platforms. Only
the example itself might be little-endian oriented. Would you mind doing an
experiment? Choose one message (message_it for example :-) and swap the
bytes in every pair of bytes (including the last chunk that contains 4
bytes). Does the Italian message look better?

--
Eric Botcazou