Re: [AD] Mac news

Eric Botcazou wrote:

> Sure, but do we need that for MacOS X? Are there x different graphics libs
> and y different sound drivers on MacOS X?

Good point. I guess the only likely options are debug/profiling
then. I could imagine configure being used to choose between
cocoa/x11, but that's about it.

> Like on every other non-Unix port (DJGPP, Watcom, Borland, MSVC, Cygwin,
> MinGW, BeOS, QNX and so on): make DEBUGMODE=1.

OK, that probably isn't unfriendly then. I'm just used to configure
for building pretty much anything, so I tend to prefer that. No ground
for it, really.

> It's actually the other way around: the configure machinery is currently a
> mess when you want to build anything else than the default library. You need
> to reconfigure each time you change the options and it is riddled with
> non-obvious dependencies.

I haven't had any problems with it, but I'll take your word on the
dependencies and other problems. I guess I'm a bit weird that I like
the configure machinery, the other system works fine too.

> The configure machinery is nice when you have one codebase that must run on
> several platforms. It's not the case for the MacOS X port.

Proceed, great captain and we shall follow your advice :-)

Hein

 Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who
 it's friends are.

 Hein Zelle                     hein@xxxxxxxxxx
	                        http://www.icce.rug.nl/~hein