Re: [AD] Component ordering and mixing color depths

No, I simply mean that we should be able to draw_sprite() a 32-bit RGBA sprite onto a 32-bit bitmap the same way we draw_sprite() a 32-bit RGB sprite on a 32-bit bitmap. The set of operations we support for 32-bit RGBA sprites should be a superset of that of 32-bit RGB sprites.

I'm really confused now. Has it not been case all along? Component ordering would affect all 32-bpp bitmaps, regardless of them having a useful alpha channel or not...

Absolutely. However, it doesn't help in the case of 16-bpp screen modes,
where all video/system bitmaps are also 16-bpp, but 32-bpp RGBA sprites
are, well, 32-bpp.

What if the hardware supports 32-bit RGBA pixmaps independently of the actual depth of the frame buffer (32-bit overlays are supported in 15-bit mode on my ATI card, they had even worked with Allegro before I disabled the feature) ?

If you are using a 32-bpp overlay, then bmp_color_depth(screen) == 32, no?

You know, I think this is all a big misunderstanding and that we are really arguing about two different things...

--
- Robert Jr Ohannessian
http://bob.allegronetwork.com/