Re: [AD] Component ordering and mixing color depths

Eric Botcazou wrote:
No, simply that one might expect a 32-bit RGBA sprite to be an enhanced 32-bit RGB sprite, so that every drawing operation which works for the latter works for the former as well, in particular the plain draw_sprite.

Do you mean that we should also allow for color conversion in all Allegro function from 32-bpp to any other arbitrary bpp bitmap?

I mean that, if a 32-bit RGBA format was supported by the hardware, its layout would highly likely match that of the 32-bit RGB format. Therefore we would have to use the 32-bit RGB order of the card for our 32-bit RGBA format in order to benefit from hardware-acceleration.

Absolutely. However, it doesn't help in the case of 16-bpp screen modes, where all video/system bitmaps are also 16-bpp, but 32-bpp RGBA sprites are, well, 32-bpp.

--
- Robert Jr Ohannessian
http://bob.allegronetwork.com/