Re: [AD] 4.0.2 release

> Man page says:
>
>     Shell scripts intended to be portable to traditional grep should
>     avoid both -q and -s and should redirect output to /dev/null instead.
>
> Unix sucks.  Patch attached.

While looking through GCC's configure machinery, I noticed two things:
- grep's output is indeed systematically redirected to /dev/null (and very
often with an additional 2>&1)
- the construct is always: <string> | grep <pattern> > /dev/null and never:
grep <string> <pattern> /dev/null, using 'echo' if necessary.

Therefore I modified the only occurence that didn't conform to #2.

> PS. Reading libtool's documentation and some course notes, it seems Unix
> shared library mechanisms vary a lot.  I'm specifically worried about
> the above block.  Symlinking might not be the normal way things are done
> on a particular Unix.  Dunno if it's worth fixing or using libtool.

I think switching to libtool now for the branch is out of question. Maybe to
be considered for mainline. As to decide whether the problem is worth fixing
for 4.0.2, it's up to you, but I don't see it as a showstopper since Evert
said it didn't impair too much the build process.

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx