Re: [AD] Proposal to drop DOS port from Allegro 4

From: "Clayton Weaver" <vgdesigner@xxxxxxxxxx>

> I've been thinking about something (plus I say a comment about it in the
> forums). I propose, and a lot seem to agree, that DOS should be dropped
from
> Allegro.

This would violate the feature freeze on Allegro 4.

It is also worth noting that there is no DOS "port" of Allegro.  DOS Allegro
is the _base_; everything *else* is a port.

Right now, the "official" version of Allegro (3.12) *only* supports DOS.  It
would be a bit of a shock to have 4.0 support everything *but* DOS,
especially when DOS support works now and we'd be removing it just for the
sake of removing it.

There seems to be little point in removing support for a functioning, stable
platform; I suggest that future features that would be limited by a DOS port
simply not be implemented for DOS, and it will be up to the programmer who
wants to support DOS to work withing the feature subset that DOS supports.

As long as DJGPP is supported, there are likely to be enough DOS developers
to make the effort worthwhile.  Although there may be support for dropping
DOS among the Allegro developers, who mostly seem to be Linux users, I think
you will get a very different reaction if you were to post the suggestion on
comp.os.msdos.djgpp.

In other words: I suggest we keep DOS support as-is for 4.0, depreciate it
in 5.0 for any new features that are too difficult to implement for DOS, and
consider complete non-support only for version 6.

--Chris