Re: [AD] official beta (Re namespace again)

>> 5 thing is silly considering the small change we want to make
>> (prefixing).
>
>Excuse me?  Prefixing will break EVERY SINGLE Allegro function!  This is NOT
>a small change!

My point of view as well.

[snip]

>Remember, there are a LOT of people still using 3.12 who would dearly like
>to use what we already have, but have not officially labelled stable!  Give
>these people a chance!
>
>--Chris
very true, and people saying we broke the api since 3.12 are a bit overreacting.
I compiled and old allegro project of mine (I think it was 3.0, or maybe even 2.something)
And it compiled just like that. There are some small differences, but nothing
you cannot fix in about 5 minutes work. While I guess prefixing WHAM for example
will cost a few days, even if it is a lot of automatical search&replace.

I completely don't see the problem with releasing what we have now as 4.0,
and releasing a prefixed 5.0 a week later. If the prefixing turns out to be
simple, fine, 4.0 will turn to dust all by itself. If not you still have the 4.0 to
fall back on. while if we only have a prefixed 4.0 we cannot go back anymore.

I need allegro for my work because I work in linux at home and in windows at work,
so it is really important for me that it works.

--

Martijn Versteegh