RE: [AD] official beta (Re namespace again)

Title: RE: [AD] official beta (Re namespace again)

> 3.9.40 will be the "official beta".  If something is really badly
> broken, we can have more betas.  That's how it's been done before.

For it to be useful as an "official beta", it would need to be widely
distributed (eg simtel, and other places where allegro 3 is), and a
fairly long time to get bug reports to begin flowing. Sure, bugs can
be fixed after the "official non-beta", but it's a bit annoying to
have a bug ridden official version :)

> Remember, we can fix stuff *after* 4.0.0.  We just can't break the
> API/ABI.  Maybe we will release 4.0.1 a week after 4.0.0, but I don't
> think it really matters.  The API will be set in stone and people
> won't be afraid to try it.

And, for the record, I'm all for breaking everything. And, if possible,
add a layer of defines for compatibility (eg allegro3.h).
If something makes the lib better but breaks compatibility, then tough,
but this should not stop it. We've seen what this causes.

--
Vincent Penquerc'h