Re: [AD] CPU info changes

Henrik Stokseth wrote:

Bob <ohannessian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

it also makes it harder and slower to get this info.
parsing a string to fetch this info is just a bad idea IMO.

I don't know about you, but I tend not to fetch CPU info a few million

times

per second :-P

it's not speed i'm converned about. this info should be easily accessible,
and it is so in binary form. string parsing is *overkill*. and is really the
only thing i do not like about the CPU info changes.

i'd much more like to be able to use: if(cpu.family == 5) than say: if,
while, strtok, strcmp and atoi, just to get the same done.

Although that's true, it's not an operation that is down very often (if even at all!). So we have a little freedom as to how to implement it. I'm not a big fan of having 200 global variables though.

In any case, this is becomming a simple matter of opinion, where there isn't really any Best Way(tm) of doing things.

[snip]

--
- Robert J Ohannessian
"Microsoft code is probably O(n^20)" (my CS prof)