Re: [AD] CPU info changes

Bob <ohannessian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > it also makes it harder and slower to get this info.
> > parsing a string to fetch this info is just a bad idea IMO.
>

> I don't know about you, but I tend not to fetch CPU info a few million
times
> per second :-P

it's not speed i'm converned about. this info should be easily accessible,
and it is so in binary form. string parsing is *overkill*. and is really the
only thing i do not like about the CPU info changes.

i'd much more like to be able to use: if(cpu.family == 5) than say: if,
while, strtok, strcmp and atoi, just to get the same done.

> Seriously though, I wanted to use the string idea because it's
indefinately
> extensible. We can add as many paramters as we want without breaking old
> programs (well new programs, from our perspective :)

we can also add so many variables storing binary data we want without
breaking any old programs. i don't think that's a very valid reason, but i
see your point.

Sincerely Henrik Stokseth.
"Our hardware runs better without Windows" - BMW advertisement.
E-mail: hstokset@xxxxxxxxxx  Homepage: http://hstokset.n3.net