Re: [AD] CPU info changes

Henrik Stokseth wrote:

On Tuesday 23 October 2001 14:44, Laurence Withers wrote:

I was thinking we get rid of it (less symbols to export).

If nobody strongly disagrees, this is probably a good thing. I wouldn't
mind, but then I don't use any of these variables.

We can document how to
"get it back" from the cpu_id string. I also don't think it will break too
many programs.

Fair enough (at least by me).

having a string to list processor information is ok. but getting rid of cpu_type, cpu_vedor etc. is something that should be avoided. besides breaking some programs

I don't think it'll break that many programs. We can always code macros to get the info if you're so worried about it :)

it also makes it harder and slower to get this info. parsing a string to fetch this info is just a bad idea IMO.

I don't know about you, but I tend not to fetch CPU info a few million times per second :-P Seriously though, I wanted to use the string idea because it's indefinately extensible. We can add as many paramters as we want without breaking old programs (well new programs, from our perspective :)

your original proposal was adding a cpu-info string, and combining various information in an int, right?

Not quite. Only the cpu_mmx, cpu_sse, cpu_3dnow and cpu_fpu will be combined together. This makes it a whole lot easier to test for combined capabilities.

what about putting all info into a cpu struct like this?

struct {
  char *desc; /* string with cpu info */
  int vendor_id;
  int family, model;
  int mmx, sse, 3dnow, cpu_id, fpu;
} cpu;

this gets rid of some exports.
and perhaps you should also provide some macros for backwards compatibility?

This could work also, but I think a string is much more flexible.

--
- Robert J Ohannessian
"Microsoft code is probably O(n^20)" (my CS prof)