Re: [AD] masked_blit 106% faster !!

On 18 Aug 2001, Bob <ohannessian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Peter Wang wrote:
> > Actually, my assembler doesn't seem to support SSE instructions.
> > How do we test for it?
>
> Just try to compile this line:
>
> maskmovq %mm0, %mm0
>
> Like we're doing for the MMX test.
> It'll test for the presence of MMX+ (3DNow!2 or SSE).
>
> FYI, you need GAS 2.11.90+. 2.10.90 (shipped with RH 7.0) can't compile it.

Actually, it does :-)

On 18 Aug 2001, Henrik Stokseth <hstokset@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why test for it? Couldn't we remove the mmx test as well and tell people to
> use a faily new binutils? it just seems a little dumb to me to add tests we
> don't really need.

Yes, I think this is increasingly becoming a good option.  Way back
when, it was a good idea to have the test.  Nowadays it seems to
cause more problems than it solves.

--
tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.alphalink.com.au/~tjaden/
ERDU (UHR dew), n.  The leftover accumulation of rubber particles after