Re: [AD] Windowed drivers color conversion

> Cool, I was thinking about adding both a C and an asm version, but it
> looks like you already did it! =)

Isaac wrote the MMX routines, I wrote the non MMX ones.

> Now, can you make it to be a common API, so we can use the same code base
> for all the windowed drivers? Or is it so tightly attached that this would
> break the Win32 port?

Yes for the first question and no for the second one :-) I think. The
prototype for all the functions is void _update_*(LPDDSURFACEDESC src_desc,
LPDDSURFACEDESC dest_desc), but the LPDDSURFACEDESC object actually
describes a simple rectangle in (video) memory.

> Of course we'd need both asm and C versions, for non i386 platforms...

I'm ok to do the asm part; we must of course define first a common
interface.

> Having optimized asm routines (even with MMX support) would really benefit
> X and BeOS drivers (not counting the upcoming QNX and maybe MacOS ones)!

I think Isaac's routines are well optimized. I'm not sure it is the case for
mine: I think I largely underestimated cache misses, especially in the
24-bit code. The routines waste very few cycles... but on a theoritical
Pentium with a hyper-sized cache !

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx