Re: [AD] GFX_WINDOWED

Peter Wang wrote:
> What would "GFX_VGA | GFX_WINDOWED"

Then the resolution of the screen can be smaller than the actual display
resolution. Allegro can pick a sane value for that (or fall back to user
specicifed or allegro.cfg).

> or "GFX_BEOS_WINDOWED |
> GFX_FULLSCREEN" mean?

I guess it could would mean either, since GFX_BEOS_WINDOWED would be
equal to GFX_BEOS | GFX_WINDOWED.
In any case, if the programmer ever tried a combination like that, he
should be expecting the unexpected :-P
I think that if Allegro defaults to full screen, then the corresponding
bit may be set to '0', in which case GFX_WIDOWDED would override the
full screen-ness flag.

> I think it would be better to add two new
> constants, GFX_AUTODETECT_FULLSCREEN and GFX_AUTODETECT_WINDOWED.

The idea (I think) was to reduce the number of graphics drivers, since
most share the same codebase anyway. For example, we could have
GFX_DIRECTX (and maybe later GFX_OPENGL), with which we can request full
screen or windowed modes.

> If fullscreen or windowed operation is not possible in the current
> context, `set_gfx_mode' would simply fail.

I don't think so - Since we ask for a driver explicitly (ex:
GFX_DIRECTX), it will fail anyway if that driver's context is not
available.

>  GFX_AUTODETECT would
> work as it does now.

It would still work under the new system.

--
- Robert J Ohannessian

"Microsoft code is probably O(n^20)" (My CS teacher)