Re: [AD] New graphics driver -- GFX_FORCE?

> OK, I have created a patch for adding GFX_FORCE, and for allowing the
> GFX_SAFE parameters to be changed in allegro.cfg.
>
> The GFX_SAFE patch allows the user to set gfx_safe_card, gfx_safe_w and
> gfx_safe_h in allegro.cfg; also, the variables _gfx_safe_card,
> _gfx_safe_w and _gfx_safe_h are declared in aintern.h.

I think you didn't go far enough. The GFX_SAFE driver still looks first for
a GFX_AUTODETECTed driver, even if the gfx_safe_* parameters are set in
allegro.cfg . IMHO this is a little illogical.

A better behaviour could be:
- use the gfx_safe_* parameters; if they don't exist or if it fails then
- use an GFX_AUTODECTECTed mode; if it fails then
- use the hard-coded GFX_SAFE_IDed mode.

Three other (minor) problems:
- you didn't update the file list for the other platforms,
- is the inclusion of aintvga.h into gfxforce.c really needed ? It gives two
warnings under Windows,
- the name 'Forced graphics driver' is a little too long to fit into the
modesel window. Would 'Forced driver' not be sufficient ?

> One question, however: where should we document options like this? Since
> these changes are more aimed at end users than at developers, would it
> make sense to create a new document about allegro.cfg, that developers
> could distribute with their games? I would be happy to create such a
> file, if need be.

I think it would be a good thing to have such a document.

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx