Re: [AD] Board mixer ...

	Hello.
	SET: you don't have to email me privately the same message you send to
Allegro Conductors since I am on the mailing list.

salvador wrote:
> Ivan Baldo wrote:
> >         Hello.
> >         Why reinvent the wheel?
> >         Use aumix and be happy :-))) (or ALSA).
> I don't have installed, is it friendly? or is just a command line stuff?
	Aumix is what you want it to be :-))).
	It has a GTK GUI, a command line interface, *AND* a console TUI.
	It is easy to use.
	You can save your preferences in your user home directory, then load
them when you login, or save them in a more global location, then load
them at computer startup.
	Beware: the Debian version of Aumix doesn't have the GTK GUI compiled
since it isn't very stable yet (is new).

> >         I think it is task of the operating system to control the sound
> > preferences of its users.
> :-)))))))))))))) so you'll let your OS to choose the Treble/Bass balance ;-)
	:-)))))))))))))) and you didn't understand me (I recognize I am very
bad at English).
	It would be nice if OS's could read your mind... you could do a more
effective use of your system :-))).
	Anyway, what I wanted to mean is that the operating system should let
the users control the sound preferences, but not individual
applications.

> > Changing the mixer settings in every
> > application? Ouch! I don't want to use your editor and that it changes
> > my settings for the mixer!
> Stupid! [is my friend ;-)]
	Poor unhappy man that wants to do an operating system hidden behind
what it calls a "text editor"!!! :-)))
	You should improve the operating systems if you are unhappy with them
instead!
	For DOS: couldn't you put a resident program wich gets activated via
hot keys and allows you to change the mixer settings? Then I would put
it in my autoexec.bat ;-).

> > Or having to configure the settings for the
> > mixer in your editor,
> I need it, I don't like command line to set up some stuff, specially when I need
> *feed back* in real time. Also: GUI programs are outside the topic.
	If you are talking about GNU/Linux: its solved.
	Windows? Well... you should use its mixer.
	DOS: if it is possible, consider doing a separate TSR program to do
this, then redistribute as a separate project, and expect some feedback
to add more mixers. You are good in assembler and low-level C... I am
sure you can do it if there is a possibility.

> > or having to activate an option to say "don't touch my mixer".
> What about the reverse ;-) [An option: save the settings for this song and
> restore
> it when you choose it again.]
	If you do it in your editor (which I don't recommend... but you have
the final word ofcourse) then you have to make a global setting and a
per-file based setting.

> >         I don't want to sound "tough", but your idea seems insane to me. Just
> > switch VC and adjust your mixer settings.
> I don't have a tool for it and I guess a lot of users doesn't have it too.
	I am not so sure. A mixer is a *must* if you have a sound card. People
that likes consoles will install Aumix or something like it (if there is
something like it...). Other people I think will have a graphical mixer
under X or something. And other would use command line ones... But sure
they have a mixer program, and the most important thing of all: they can
choose between this programs, specially choosing one that supports most
things of its hardware. I think this mixers would be more complete than
what the editor could provide or Allegro could provide. Remember there
are sound cards that have sound effects and things like that, also
quadrophonic ones, etc. Leave all that complexity to the mixers of the
OS.

> Of
> course I can browse my Debian CDs and find a command line or GUI based program,
> but they aren't what I need.
	How do you know if you didn't tryed them? I am pretty sure you didn't
looked at the description of Aumix neither!

> >         On the other side, it could be usefull for DOS (in order to not have to
> > exit an application and then adjust mixer settings, then restart the
> > application), but wouldn't that be difficult to implement correctly for
> > most sound cards?
> Why? Most machines running DOS uses SB compatible boards.
	Are you so sure?

> I'll add it to the editor anyways, my question is if this code can be
> incorporated
> to Allegro. Why? simple: Allegro already detects the sound chip and touches some
> of the registers. Having 2 sets of routines to achieve it doesn't have any
> sense.
	IMHO it should be added if it doesn't add too much complexity to
Allegro.

	Well, this is just my opinion, the final word is on Allegro major
contributors. I just ask that you people think about this, and then take
a choice after *thinking* about it.

	Bye everyone!
--
Ivan Baldo:
lubaldo@xxxxxxxxxx - http://members.xoom.com/baldo - ICQ 10215364

(If you have problems with the previous addresses, try this ones:
ibaldo@xxxxxxxxxx, http://baldo.home.ml.org).