Re: [AD] Board mixer ...

Ivan Baldo wrote:

>         SET: you don't have to email me privately the same message you send to
> Allegro Conductors since I am on the mailing list.

I *ever* do it, is really useful.

> salvador wrote:
> > Ivan Baldo wrote:
> > >         Hello.
> > >         Why reinvent the wheel?
> > >         Use aumix and be happy :-))) (or ALSA).
> > I don't have installed, is it friendly? or is just a command line stuff?
>         Aumix is what you want it to be :-))).
>         It has a GTK GUI, a command line interface, *AND* a console TUI.
>         It is easy to use.
>         You can save your preferences in your user home directory, then load
> them when you login, or save them in a more global location, then load
> them at computer startup.
>         Beware: the Debian version of Aumix doesn't have the GTK GUI compiled
> since it isn't very stable yet (is new).

I'll check it.

> > >         I think it is task of the operating system to control the sound
> > > preferences of its users.
> > :-)))))))))))))) so you'll let your OS to choose the Treble/Bass balance ;-)
>         :-)))))))))))))) and you didn't understand me (I recognize I am very
> bad at English).
>         It would be nice if OS's could read your mind... you could do a more
> effective use of your system :-))).
>         Anyway, what I wanted to mean is that the operating system should let
> the users control the sound preferences, but not individual
> applications.

Interesting, OSs reading your mind :-)))

> > > Changing the mixer settings in every
> > > application? Ouch! I don't want to use your editor and that it changes
> > > my settings for the mixer!
> > Stupid! [is my friend ;-)]
>         Poor unhappy man that wants to do an operating system hidden behind
> what it calls a "text editor"!!! :-)))
>         You should improve the operating systems if you are unhappy with them
> instead!
>         For DOS: couldn't you put a resident program wich gets activated via
> hot keys and allows you to change the mixer settings? Then I would put
> it in my autoexec.bat ;-).

I have one from Creative Labs, but:
1) It eats memory.
2) It doesn't work from a pmode proggy.

BTW, I never saw a mixer as good as the one I implemented in GRepvoc ;-)

> > > Or having to configure the settings for the
> > > mixer in your editor,
> > I need it, I don't like command line to set up some stuff, specially when I need
> > *feed back* in real time. Also: GUI programs are outside the topic.
>         If you are talking about GNU/Linux: its solved.

Solved? hmmmm.... I don't know.

>         Windows? Well... you should use its mixer.

Crappy one, GMixer from gnome is better! I can't beleive it.

>         DOS: if it is possible, consider doing a separate TSR program to do
> this, then redistribute as a separate project, and expect some feedback
> to add more mixers. You are good in assembler and low-level C... I am
> sure you can do it if there is a possibility.

Is not a good idea for me.

> > > or having to activate an option to say "don't touch my mixer".
> > What about the reverse ;-) [An option: save the settings for this song and
> > restore
> > it when you choose it again.]
>         If you do it in your editor (which I don't recommend... but you have
> the final word ofcourse) then you have to make a global setting and a
> per-file based setting.
>
> > >         I don't want to sound "tough", but your idea seems insane to me. Just
> > > switch VC and adjust your mixer settings.
> > I don't have a tool for it and I guess a lot of users doesn't have it too.
>         I am not so sure. A mixer is a *must* if you have a sound card.

Then tell me why it isn't a dependency in the .deb files ;-))))

> People
> that likes consoles will install Aumix or something like it (if there is
> something like it...). Other people I think will have a graphical mixer
> under X or something. And other would use command line ones... But sure
> they have a mixer program, and the most important thing of all: they can
> choose between this programs, specially choosing one that supports most
> things of its hardware. I think this mixers would be more complete than
> what the editor could provide or Allegro could provide. Remember there
> are sound cards that have sound effects and things like that, also
> quadrophonic ones, etc. Leave all that complexity to the mixers of the
> OS.

You know I won't do it.

> > Of
> > course I can browse my Debian CDs and find a command line or GUI based program,
> > but they aren't what I need.
>         How do you know if you didn't tryed them? I am pretty sure you didn't
> looked at the description of Aumix neither!
>
> > >         On the other side, it could be usefull for DOS (in order to not have to
> > > exit an application and then adjust mixer settings, then restart the
> > > application), but wouldn't that be difficult to implement correctly for
> > > most sound cards?
> > Why? Most machines running DOS uses SB compatible boards.
>         Are you so sure?

That's what I have all around, if you have a DOS machine and want to use the sound
card it must be SB compatible.

> > I'll add it to the editor anyways, my question is if this code can be
> > incorporated
> > to Allegro. Why? simple: Allegro already detects the sound chip and touches some
> > of the registers. Having 2 sets of routines to achieve it doesn't have any
> > sense.
>         IMHO it should be added if it doesn't add too much complexity to
> Allegro.
>
>         Well, this is just my opinion, the final word is on Allegro major
> contributors. I just ask that you people think about this, and then take
> a choice after *thinking* about it.

Most probably too late, but I agree. My point is simple: Allegro already have 1
function that uses the mixer, with 3 functions we can control the whole thing. The
code for Linux and SB16 is simple. My main problem is that I don't want to use Allegro
sound *and* another code that touches the same registers/devices. And if you worry
about the extra code just add an option to the configuration script NO_BOARD_MIXER ;-)

Consider a fact that it will be handled by the editor because I need it.

SET

--
Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET). (Electronics Engineer)
Visit my home page: http://welcome.to/SetSoft or