Re: [translations] Completing Catalan Priority 2

* David Kastrup, dak@xxxxxxx [18/01/15 18:46]:
> Jean-Charles Malahieude <lilyfan@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I've just pushed your work on the usage manual.
> >
> > As I noticed I could not access LM in Catalan, I checked what was
> > happening, and discovered you had forgotten to translate the master
> > file "learning.tely" (you'll find it enclosed). Therefore you haven't
> > been able to see that the learning manual did not build correctly:
> >
> > 1- Presence of a "specific" character not taken into account by texinfo:
> >
> > [jcharles@pc2 ca] (translation)$ git grep -n 'particel'
> > learning/fundamental.itely:2246:* Partitures y particel⋅les::
> > learning/fundamental.itely:2308:tinguéssim dues @code{\score}s,
> > acabaríem amb dues particel·les
> > learning/fundamental.itely:3207:@node Partitures i particel⋅les
> > learning/fundamental.itely:3208:@subsection Partitures i particel⋅les
> > learning/fundamental.itely:3212:Un cop en les particel·les per a tots
> > els músics, i una altra per
> > learning/fundamental.itely:3216:s'usa després per generar tant la
> > particel·la com la partitura del
> > learning/fundamental.itely:3231:Després es fa una particella escrivint
> > en un fitxer el següent:
> > learning/fundamental.itely:3280:Quan s'imprimeix la particella s'han
> > de comprimir els silencis
> > web/introduction.itexi:281:veu, i una particella de violí.
> > web/introduction.itexi:551:la partitura general i particelles d'un
> > arranjament del
> > web/introduction.itexi:1071:partitura i les particells es poden fer a
> > partir d'un sol fitxer
> > web/introduction.itexi:1073:les particelles com a la partitura
> > general. Per poder incloure la
> > web/introduction.itexi:1347:particelles, i que inclou un mode per
> > barrejar diferents obres
> > web/introduction.itexi:1348:musicals a una sola partitura o particella.
> >
> > According to diccionari.cat:
> > particel·la
> > [de l'it. particella, íd., i aquest, del ll. vg. *particella alteració
> > del ll. cl. particŭla, dimin. de pars, partis 'part2']
> >
> > f MÚS Part d'una partitura que correspon a una sola veu o instrument
> > d'una obra musical.
> >
> > I changed every occurrence of  "l·l" by "ll" and it got forward…
>
> I don't know about Catalan, but in the somewhat related Occitan the
> central dot is indeed a proper character and not just a hyphenation
> indication in dictionaries.
>
> So the proper solution would likely be defining that dot.  One would
> probably have to see how texinfo.tex deals with other non-ASCII
> characters in order to create a useful definition here.
>
> But that's definitely part of making Texinfo support Catalan unless I am
> mistaken about · being a proper character part in Catalan.

Yes, I confirm, l·l is a letter, it can be also written using digital
Open Type fonts as ŀ and Ŀ so that the dot is properly close to the
first "l" or "L", to get ŀl and ĿL. Phonetically it is different from a
normal "l" and is pronounced as a long l.

I started looking at Catalan support in Texinfo, but as I imagine it
will take a while until LilyPond gets it from upstream, I will use the
workaround suggested by Jean-Charles to progress with these
translations.

--
Walter  Garcia-Fontes