Re: [translations] German

Henning Hraban Ramm <lilypondml@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> The LilyDev install docs are missing the „upgrading Linux“ part,
> e.g. the request to install cyrillic fonts for TeX might ask too much
> from a usual Windows or Mac user. And I’d appreciate a hint about
> which IDE to use (I don’t believe in the church of Emacs), in my case:
> which editor supports translations in any way, and can help with
> texinfo?

Well, Emacs plus AUCTeX is definitely a combination not to dismiss
easily when working on Texinfo files: Texinfo is the documentation
format for the GNU project, and Emacs is its chosen editor.

One result of that is that the source highlighting, indentation,
wrapping, input support (particularly when using AUCTeX) is good (and
the LilyPond formatting defaults are set with directory-wide variables).
Not extraordinary, but good.

By far the best way to read LilyPond's documentation is doing "make
info" (which builds info including images) and "sudo make install-info",
and then using Emacs as an info reader.  It beats the pants off forwards
and backwards of reading the info files on a browser (response
everywhere is instantaneous and you have keyboard navigation), and I
know no standalone reader dealing sensibly with image inclusion (Yelp
does support images, but the shere number of them in LilyPond
documentation made it lock up last time I tried it).  Emacs info is much
faster, and has _lots_ of navigation features including one-key access
to the indices with auto-completion.

PNG image

LilyPond-mode is ok but no reason to switch.

I probably should see whether I manage to get to the state where one can
compile single files from our documentation with included LilyPond files
from within Emacs: that would tilt the balance seriously.  As it stands
now, LilyPond documentation can really only be compiled using "make"
(which is sufficient for proofreading without the images) and "make
info", and of course, that is basically independent of editor support.

> Since the doc diff is rather big, I’d appreciate a hint where to start
> - just go after the priority list?
> Perhaps just send me your unfinished guide ;-)

That may be an idea.

--
David Kastrup