Re: [translations] Automatic build of translation branch

Le 03/08/2012 18:10, Francisco Vila disait :
2012/8/3 John Mandereau <john.mandereau@xxxxxxxxx>:
How about doing a similar thing for translation branch?

I welcome this idea.

1) Build translation branch every 8 hours, send a report to this list
and if successful put the built docs on grenouille.lilynet.net.

every 8 hours in presence of any new commits, I understand.

That's what I understand as well!
We might even advertise it on the different LANG-lists for proofreading.

2) Use the staging/master mechanism for translations [...]

I like 1) best because translation branch already works as a staging
for translations, breakage is not frequent (some could not see it that
way) and occasional breakage is not causing much annoyance. I only
merge to staging if docs build; it would be more interesting to know
when "distribution" problems happen, and this requires running GUB.
This is what really annoys me because this is why I've been scolded
for in the past.

This happened several time in the past year, mainly by my fault (not renaming a .ly in .texidoc). This could have been avoided if "make dist" (which makes the tarball) included the check that is on GUB... and every translator did launch it before sending NEW files.

Propagation to master is already slow (5-10 days max) but frequent
build of translation branch would make this less important.

2.15.42 nevertheless missed our last updates and the amendments to the English version.

Despite of this all, I am willing to take the road of
translation/staging if you think it's worth the trouble.

I think we need a ping from Release Meister when he updates the building-branch for a last "Mary-go-round" in the 2 or 3 days time window before releasing, or increase the merge frequency depending on the "traffic" in Documentation/ (I've noticed that updating something that has not been merged from master gets tracked by check-translation).

Cheers,
Jean-Charles

ps : by the way, John, since the French version seems to be complete now, if you need some test on your branch, I'm still at work until the 20th.