Re: [translations] Automatic build of translation branch

2012/8/3 John Mandereau <john.mandereau@xxxxxxxxx>:
> How about doing a similar thing for translation branch?

I welcome this idea.

> 1) Build translation branch every 8 hours, send a report to this list
> and if succesful put the built docs on grenouille.lilynet.net.

every 8 hours in presence of any new commits, I understand.

> 2) Use the staging/master mechanism for translations: add a new branch
> translation-staging where work on translations should be pushed to,
> build this branch every 8 hours, and if succesful fast-forward
> translation from it and put the built docs on grenouille.lilynet.net.
> No commits should be pushed to translation branch directly.  Merges with
> master and staging should be done only these ways, manually because
> there may be conflicts when merging:
> master into translation-staging
> translation into staging
>
> Scenario 2) is good in case translation branch breakage is frequent and
> annoys translators, I think it doesn't add burden to the translations
> meister Francisco, but it might make commits propagation between master
> and translation a bit slower (or not).

I like 1) best because translation branch already works as a staging
for translations, breakage is not frequent (some could not see it that
way) and occasional breakage is not causing much annoyance. I only
merge to staging if docs build; it would be more interesting to know
when "distribution" problems happen, and this requires running GUB.
This is what really annoys me because this is why I've been scolded
for in the past.

Propagation to master is already slow (5-10 days max) but frequent
build of translation branch would make this less important.

Despite of this all, I am willing to take the road of
translation/staging if you think it worths the trouble.

> I'm counting on your comments,

I am going to be a bit slow on commenting from now on until last ten
days of August.

Thanks for your work,