Re: [translations] Automatic build of translation branch

Il giorno ven, 03/08/2012 alle 18.10 +0200, Francisco Vila ha scritto:
> 2012/8/3 John Mandereau <john.mandereau@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > How about doing a similar thing for translation branch?
>
> I welcome this idea.
>
> > 1) Build translation branch every 8 hours, send a report to this list
> > and if succesful put the built docs on grenouille.lilynet.net.
>
> every 8 hours in presence of any new commits, I understand.

Sure.  It could be more often if the server could run the overall build
in less than three hours (it currently takes 3 hours and a quarter), but
every 8 hours is a fair frequence.

> I like 1) best because translation branch already works as a staging
> for translations, breakage is not frequent (some could not see it that
> way) and occasional breakage is not causing much annoyance.

OK, so I'll go for setting this up this weekend.

>  I only
> merge to staging if docs build; it would be more interesting to know
> when "distribution" problems happen, and this requires running GUB.
> This is what really annoys me because this is why I've been scolded
> for in the past.

I have a big patch in dev/jmandereau for making dist from Git, that also
removes tons of GNUmakefiles that were present only to tell the build
system which files to dist, so much of distribution nightmares we've had
will be stories from the past very soon, as long as people with pushing
permission check build *and* check (with "git status") that their
working directory is clean before pushing (even the daily automatic
build will help with this).

> Despite of this all, I am willing to take the road of
> translation/staging if you think it worths the trouble.

It's up to the translators who work on translation branch to tell, as a
build manager I don't care :-)

Cheers,
John