Re: [translations] Documentation/xx.po

I myself would also like to be more aware of all the mechanism that
involves po files.  I can tell that now they are used for fewer tasks
than before, at least because node names are now translated in every
file.  In addition,

>> So I started translating Documentation/it.po
>> Some questions:
>>
>> 1) I guess Documentation/it.po is "synced" with lilypond-doc.pot, so I
>> can just start translating it without checking anything. Right?
>>

> I made an update two days ago (commit 71092743... "Docs: update lilypond doc
> po" so you are right again.

Thanks! Until end 2009, John used to do this.  Last times it were
updated were Apr 2010, by Jan.

>> 2) Can I translate it step by step instead of all at once? As there are
>> a lot of strings that refer to manuals, I'd like to translate only the
>> strings of manual already translated in my language and leave the rest
>> untranslated.
>> Well, probably I 'must' do this way...
>>

> I consider it the right way. There are plenty of strings that are still not
> translated in French, mostly from parts that have not been delivered.

You can test the effects of translate or not to translate certain
strings by looking at the resulting compiled docs.  I am not sure at
all.