Re: [frogs] ready to (re)start

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 09:31:26PM -0500, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> However, since we're now at 7.5 hours and counting -- with no indication of how much longer it will be (did anyone ever think that a percentage indicator might be helpful!?) -- my frustration level is really climbing.

A percentage indicator would be difficult to do with the automake
system.  It's not hard in the waf system.

However, changing to the waf build system would take me somewhere
around 50 hours to do.  At the moment, there are other items which
I believe have higher priority, and nobody else is willing to
commit to this item.  So this is going nowhere.

As a very approximate guide, when you see a bunch of
warnings/errors about missing node names and stuff, referring to
stuff in other languages, you're over 60% done.  (very rough
guess)

> In particular, my computer has been essentially useless for anything -- including trivial tasks like email and websurfing -- for a whole work day.

I didn't expect this.  Do you have a G4 machine?  Actually, even
on my old G4 powerbook, I could still do other stuff.  And it
really shouldn't be 7.5 hours... hmm, is it on a very slow disk?
Or are you running out of memory?

Even on my CDN $299 (brand new) asus eee 701, a full doc rebuild
only took 5 hours.  My $239 asus aspire one (last summer) does it
in 3.5 hours.

Oh, did you run "make doc" or "nice make doc" ?  Nice reduces the
priority, so that other tasks (like email) get (ideally) all the
CPU power they want.

> There *must* be a better way.
> No wonder there are so few Lilypond developers.

I freely admit that the build system is an absolute mess.  John
and I (the only current developers who work on it) have been
saying this for over a year.  But where do we get the manpower to
move to a new one?

Many of the problems have been due to missing info in the CG --
we're working on that, but again it's a question of priorities.
Should I release 2.13.11, respond to emails from the two new doc
editors, or edit the CG?

Believe it or not, it's never been easier to get involved in
lilypond.  (or rather, in the past it was even harder.)

I've done everything I can think of to let people help development
without compiling, precisely because this IS such a hard step.
There's LSR, there's handing bugs, there's a newsletter (maybe),
there's editing scm files without recompiling (I can't take credit
for this, though)... there's also editing the docs without
compiling lilypond.  Granted, the latter won't help in your case.

Sorry, that's all I can think of.
- Graham