Re: [chrony-users] Multi-PPS+RTC Setup Questions

On 9/29/20 2:57 PM, Bill Unruh wrote:

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020, Matt Corallo wrote:

On 9/29/20 2:25 PM, Bill Unruh wrote:
The GPS PPS should be accurate to better than a microsecond. Now with two GPS
lines coming in, there is a fight between the interrupt handlers which means
that the second will be out by up to 10us while the first one handles the
"first" interrupt.  That will of course depend on the hardware as well, and
whether the the system has multiple CPU cores, and whether the interrupts can
get distributed amongst the cores, etc. But certainly sub us accuracy and
precision should be possible with GPS PPS. The NMEA is much much much worse
than this-- there getting 10 ms accuracy can be difficult. So NMEA is one of the worst ways of getting accuracy (usually much worse than
internet ntp.) (PPS, network, NMEA, wristwatch is the order of accuracy.)

Yep! Sadly the offset doesn't go away when one is set to tick at 5HZ and one at 4HZ, and also not when one is set to tick 1ms offset from "real time".

Why would you have your GPS ticking at 5Hz? That does not help the accuracy of
chrony, but may have harm esp in the NMEA timing.

Sorry, for clarity I'm only talking about the PPS line, not the fix calculation, and using it as a counterexample to the suggestion that the persistent 30us time difference my be due to interrupts colliding (though it *can* provide more datapoints for hiding interrupt noise).

chrony already disciplines RTC, and the /var/log/chrony/rtc.log should show
you what the RTC accuracy is. RTC is a pretty poor way of getting the time, since that clock has
uncontrollable drifts-- not least from temperature variation inside the
machine. So in short order it can be seconds away from UTC.

Sorry it wasn't clear - in this case there is a secondary (DS3231) RTC that is being pulled in and disciplined, not the system RTC (which, indeed, is disciplined by chrony). The DS3231 is then used to prevent the GPS time from getting far off of what the DS3231 claims is possible.

?? This makes no sense. Any RTC is going to be far worse than GPS. There is
simply no way that GPS should be off by enough that and RTC can help in any
way, while the RTC can certainly be off by enough to make its time way off.

If you are finding that that RTC helps then I would throw away the GPS devices
and start again.

Err, I'm not suggesting I'm finding that, only that I find it a novelty to have a check against GPS losing signal/getting spoofed/etc, which an RTC can provide.

Matt