Re: [chrony-users] Multi-PPS+RTC Setup Questions

On 9/29/20 10:44 AM, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 10:27:51AM -0400, Matt Corallo wrote:
Relevant selectdata on 4.0 (which seems to be working great) is:

Ok, if you are using the trust option, then there should be an
improvement in 4.0 over 3.5 in that it will allow non-trusted sources
to be selected in more cases.

Indeed, I am now. 4.0 fixed the most important issue by far (namely that I wasn't able to use trust because chrony would ignore the PPS inputs), so thanks for the work on that one and +1 to the new code :).

Indeed, RTC1 is an external daemon that reads in from an RTC, checks that
chrony isn't using it as its timesource and then roughly disciplines it
according to chrony's time, all before feeding samples back into chrony over
sock. Indeed, the two GPS refclocks are of different model, and do adjust
slightly differently as their internal RTCs drift, but all within noise, or
only slightly outside of it (at least once I compensate for them being
persistently off by 30us, which, uhhh...wtf u-blox?).

Try adding something like "mindelay 0.0001" to both sources.

Would this also force combination of the two ala combinelimit, or only allow them to be selected in 3.5 when the RTC is not "trust"?

With 3.4, I had to add "combinelimit 100" to get chrony to look at both
refclocks instead of picking one and deciding that the other one was
persistently off (from the first?) by just enough that it wasn't worth
looking at (which does seem like a bug?), and its still in my chrony.conf,
though I haven't tested whether I can remove it with 4.0.

combinelimit should have no impact on the selection of the '*' source,
or which sources are considered to be selectable. It only decides
later after that point in the selection, whether each selectable
should be combined (+) with the '*' source, or not (-).

Right, sorry, indeed. My goal was to force chrony to combine the two GPS PPS inputs (cause why not, and it seems strange that chrony would, by default, pick one and stick with it, ignoring the other...plus results show much more stability when they're combined =D).

Thanks,
Matt