Re: [chrony-users] Multi-PPS+RTC Setup Questions

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 12:48:02PM -0400, Matt Corallo wrote:
> Ah! I'd hit send on this before reading the chrony 4.0 update list - initial
> testing shows latest git HEAD to not have the issue of selecting the RTC.

Interesting. I'm not sure which change in 4.0 would be related to
that (assuming it's not related to the trust option). It might help if
we could see the sources report, or selectdata in 4.0. I'd suspect
there is an occasional disagreement between the two GPS refclocks,
which would be fixed by setting a delay for them to reliably get an
intersection.

What exactly is the RTC refclock? Is it an external application
feeding chronyd via SHM or SOCK?

> > Finally, it would be nice to get a warning if "maxlockage" is not set
> > when rate is >1 - if I'm understanding it correctly it doesn't make
> > sense to have a rate > 1 if the lock source doesn't have a negative
> > dpoll (which should roughly be the common setting for eg a GPS set  to
> > >1HZ PPS, as in my setup).

Ok, I think I see what you mean. This could work only when locked to a
polling refclock (i.e. not SOCK). I'll look into that after 4.0.

Thanks,