Re: [chrony-users] Configuring chrony debian service - BBB

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 04:30:27PM -0500, Joe Smith wrote:
> Unfortunately chronyd doesn't appear to like that setting. Upon reboot it
> complained that dropping root privileges was not supported.

That suggests the development files for libcap were missing when
chronyd was built. The configure script should print:

Checking for libcap : Yes

> I rebuilt again
> without it but now appear to be encountering other problems, more related
> to BBB and debian I think. Seems like I can't seem to predict very well
> what device gets assigned for PPS and why. When I started the setup process
> the PPS was going to /dev/pps0 as I would expect. Then after my last reboot
> it was getting assigned /dev/pps1 and it appears that device isn't ready at
> the time chronyd is started by systemd so it has to be started up manually
> using systemctl which is a no-go for my application. I posted to the
> BeagleBone google group to see if anyone has ideas as to why. I'm
> relatively sure it has to do with the startup order from systemd but I'm
> not expert enough to know how to remedy it.

It might be an ordering issue between starting gpsd and loading of the
pps-gpio module. How is the module loaded?

I think gpsd tries to attach a PPS of the serial port, like "ldattach 18"
would do, and if that happens before the pps-gpio module is loaded,
they would have different numbers assigned. But I'm just guessing
here.