Re: [chrony-users] Configuring chrony debian service - BBB

I verified that the configure script does not find libcap. Tried to apt-get install libcap-dev and configure again but it still doesn't find it. There appear to be a few debian packages out there for libcap but not sure which one it needs. I'm not super worried if chronyd has to run as root for my particular application.

I'm not exactly sure how to determine how gps-gpio is loaded. All I know is that I configured /boot/uEnv.txt to load overlays for the PPS pin and UART4. Then it was just doing apt-get install to get the packages I need. I ran dmesg | grep pps and got the following:

[    1.538080] pps_core: LinuxPPS API ver. 1 registered
[    1.538089] pps_core: Software ver. 5.3.6 - Copyright 2005-2007 Rodolfo Giometti <giometti@xxxxxxxx>
[   17.288476] pps_ldisc: PPS line discipline registered
[   17.308702] pps pps0: new PPS source serial4
[   17.308799] pps pps0: source "/dev/ttyS4" added
[   26.049624] pps pps1: new PPS source ocp:bs_pinmode_P9_12_0x27_pinm
[   26.049749] pps pps1: Registered IRQ 88 as PPS source

I'm going to try the slow deliberate approach to loading the packages to isolate where the problems begin.

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 3:45 AM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 04:30:27PM -0500, Joe Smith wrote:
> Unfortunately chronyd doesn't appear to like that setting. Upon reboot it
> complained that dropping root privileges was not supported.

That suggests the development files for libcap were missing when
chronyd was built. The configure script should print:

Checking for libcap : Yes

> I rebuilt again
> without it but now appear to be encountering other problems, more related
> to BBB and debian I think. Seems like I can't seem to predict very well
> what device gets assigned for PPS and why. When I started the setup process
> the PPS was going to /dev/pps0 as I would expect. Then after my last reboot
> it was getting assigned /dev/pps1 and it appears that device isn't ready at
> the time chronyd is started by systemd so it has to be started up manually
> using systemctl which is a no-go for my application. I posted to the
> BeagleBone google group to see if anyone has ideas as to why. I'm
> relatively sure it has to do with the startup order from systemd but I'm
> not expert enough to know how to remedy it.

It might be an ordering issue between starting gpsd and loading of the
pps-gpio module. How is the module loaded?

I think gpsd tries to attach a PPS of the serial port, like "ldattach 18"
would do, and if that happens before the pps-gpio module is loaded,
they would have different numbers assigned. But I'm just guessing
here.