Re: [chrony-users] Configuring chrony debian service - BBB

It appears that the apt-get chrony package creates a _chrony user and _chrony group for the daemon. That is the user that currently owns /var/run/chrony. When I started chrony after building/installing from source I did a "sudo systemctl start chrony" and the chronyd.exe process that is running is owned by root.  Given this, it looks like the best course of action is probably to rebuild with the --with-user=_chrony option. I'm assuming (possibly wrongly) that the daemon switches the user to _chrony after it starts up if it's built with that option.

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 11:15:07AM -0500, Joe Smith wrote:
> Seems to be working now although I do get this warning/error from systemctl
> status chrony
>
> Wrong owner of /var/run/chrony (UID != 0)
>
> Not sure that it's significant given that it seems to be running properly.

That indicates the previous chronyd dropped root privileges (the owner
of /var/run/chrony is not root), but the new one is keeping them and
refusing to write to the directory. It will not be possible to use
chronyc to make changes in the configuration until you reboot or
remove the directory and restart chronyd.

You should either recompile chrony with the correct user specified by
the --with-user option, or specify the user with the -u option on
the chronyd command line or use the user directive in chrony.conf.