|Re: [chrony-users] Reference ID|
[ Thread Index |
| More chrony.tuxfamily.org/chrony-users Archives
- To: chrony-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [chrony-users] Reference ID
- From: Bryan Christianson <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 23:52:29 +1200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=smtpcorp.com; s=a0-2; h=Feedback-ID:X-Smtpcorp-Track:To:Message-Id:Date: From:Subject; bh=G6oIDhp9sXxDKwqMhqaEchv/rZnSmDaf2/xq3pkYuQA=; b=iYgZg2C3mWDI 8UUGf8p1MpOSxbB6hITeDvylMEj4BKHT1PBXFLnM2crmD5XgrKNux02lwtGLUqFBMGibdgNmW4SNR s315ueFrBWjWVThvGa67tTqIq6AEnkG9NxcJZyR4ha9jsd55jI5JeFP5hJQEQVc3fKan1FTloD14K ve5tOYvSpWc/zPSg3iDdsR2By6HB4zKiVOL2ezPmqUoa5BfvxmomHrN0N+5AYRIv3y5aevmqiCM3B hKSyFhIl/cWeNmA22H0WwA7MHsycq6hma43lkMT7wjBg7lcxJ/NmC/WFRzoYQdOJOEsp/bfp5ga3D N7pqRjMuocHMD+Pp0msIxg==;
- Feedback-id: 149811m:149811acx33YQ:149811ssoPlYJNP7:SMTPCORP
> On 30/05/2016, at 11:39 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 10:55:31PM +1200, Bryan Christianson wrote:
>> I like the MAC-style format too. Even without IPv6 we have the ambiguity associated with reference clocks
>> Reference ID : 184.108.40.206 (SOCK)
>> Maybe for chrony 2.5 (I think its probably too late for 2.4) the chronyc tracking display should carry a warning that the first field is not an IP address and that the format will change in the future. The change could then be made in chrony 2.6.
> Is it safe to assume the warning message won't break some scripts?
:) I don’t think its ever safe to assume a change won’t break something for someone. When they re-align roads to prevent car accidents, there is always someone confused by the re-alignment who promptly has an accident.
The warning could be displayed on stderr or with syslog. It could be a 3rd field on Reference ID but as you imply, there is always a risk that someone somewhere will be affected by a change.
To unsubscribe email chrony-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
with "unsubscribe" in the subject.
For help email chrony-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
with "help" in the subject.
Trouble? Email listmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.