Re: [chrony-users] Reference ID

> On 30/05/2016, at 11:39 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 10:55:31PM +1200, Bryan Christianson wrote:
>> I like the MAC-style format too. Even without IPv6 we have the ambiguity associated with reference clocks
>> e.g.
>> Reference ID    : 83.79.67.75 (SOCK)
>>
>> Maybe for chrony 2.5 (I think its probably too late for 2.4) the chronyc tracking display should carry a warning that the first field is not an IP address and that the format will change in the future. The change could then be made in chrony 2.6.
>
> Is it safe to assume the warning message won't break some scripts?

:) I don’t think its ever safe to assume a change won’t break something for someone. When they re-align roads to prevent car accidents, there is always someone confused by the re-alignment who promptly has an accident.

The warning could be displayed on stderr or with syslog. It could be a 3rd field on Reference ID but as you imply, there is always a risk that someone somewhere will be affected by a change.

Bryan Christianson
bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx