|Re: [chrony-users] Reference ID|
[ Thread Index |
| More chrony.tuxfamily.org/chrony-users Archives
- To: chrony-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [chrony-users] Reference ID
- From: Bryan Christianson <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 22:55:31 +1200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=smtpcorp.com; s=a0-2; h=Feedback-ID:X-Smtpcorp-Track:To:Message-Id:Date: From:Subject; bh=k7iv/5hnGV9XrV6f9ct+J6jqAWzMbR5L4jC5+95UdKE=; b=xL5Y2vz0PfmD ERKTkVD6Fo27OoZNZyw1L6wgNE8+UD7YMtioemx1bzcOolQ11d9F618aY4R3PnubEnOGpJT68KKmj kqL6svquUQBxTo+/wia/jCUD5pOy7NYVypXDymQbqH7uohQGp0l4OlC3X/NsHnbGOGO9xjXv0Zn6G C6V7uqBPjS2nFjo2353kv/lgSGxejN0PLlnbbEL0rci+jciVT46ovJczsqfcBd0ID2zdrXZ3MuawO VIGaCuSgKThBCRPcCWTo59l7xmzyOsTeNm5GQ8IVoR9Jte97iVEAHBZOxbZFucHkU6h35xQDvAtPy qsoulvoXBvrCg4YEJ4OS2A==;
- Feedback-id: 149811m:149811acx33YQ:149811ssoPlYJNP7:SMTPCORP
> On 30/05/2016, at 7:22 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 10:17:31AM +1200, Bryan Christianson wrote:
>> Maybe it could just be displayed as 8 hex digits.
> I think that would be the best solution. I was considering to use
> the MAC-style format AB:CD:EF:GH. But I'm worried it will break
> scripts that either incorrectly parse the field as an IP address or
> rely on the refid to be in the quad-dotted format.
> If someone needs the second field on the "Reference ID" line to be an
> address instead of hostname, chronyc has the -n option for that. Maybe
> this should be mentioned in the FAQ.
I like the MAC-style format too. Even without IPv6 we have the ambiguity associated with reference clocks
Reference ID : 220.127.116.11 (SOCK)
Maybe for chrony 2.5 (I think its probably too late for 2.4) the chronyc tracking display should carry a warning that the first field is not an IP address and that the format will change in the future. The change could then be made in chrony 2.6.
To unsubscribe email chrony-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
with "unsubscribe" in the subject.
For help email chrony-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
with "help" in the subject.
Trouble? Email listmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.