Re: [chrony-users] Reference ID

> On 30/05/2016, at 7:22 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 10:17:31AM +1200, Bryan Christianson wrote:
>>
>> Maybe it could just be displayed as 8 hex digits.
>
> I think that would be the best solution. I was considering to use
> the MAC-style format AB:CD:EF:GH. But I'm worried it will break
> scripts that either incorrectly parse the field as an IP address or
> rely on the refid to be in the quad-dotted format.
>
> If someone needs the second field on the "Reference ID" line to be an
> address instead of hostname, chronyc has the -n option for that. Maybe
> this should be mentioned in the FAQ.

I like the MAC-style format too. Even without IPv6 we have the ambiguity associated with reference clocks
e.g.
Reference ID    : 83.79.67.75 (SOCK)

Maybe for chrony 2.5 (I think its probably too late for 2.4) the chronyc tracking display should carry a warning that the first field is not an IP address and that the format will change in the future. The change could then be made in chrony 2.6.

Bryan Christianson
bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx