Re: [chrony-users] gpsd, pps and chrony

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Ed W wrote:

On 04/04/2011 18:02, Bill Unruh wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Ed Wildgoose wrote:

On 04/04/2011 17:19, Bill Unruh wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Ed W wrote:

Also I would like to investigate contributing 2 servers to the ntp
pool.
I would like to try and use chrony for these... I understand this
hasn't been done previously, any thoughts?

My impression is that the pool people ONLY allow ntpd in the pool. And
they
test to make sure that you are running ntpd (eg using ntpq I suspect).

Hmm, well I guess we will see whether they are buying or selling...

However, if they are being strict on choice of software, then using an
"unreleased" software version is a strawman which is easy to put up.
There is a bunch of cool stuff in the current git and I think it would
be great to get a release out fairly imminently?

Nope. Hearing the name "chrony" will drive Mills to distraction:-)

Is there any theoretical reason why chrony is unsuitable for use as a
public timeserver (and all the loading, external misuse that this
entails?)  Please lets try and rise higher than "mine's better than
yours" answers, often software suits different purposes, is there any
reason why one piece of software might offer a more suitable *public"
service than another? eg compatibility with other clients? ability under
load? resistance to external abuse?

"They" feel that ntpd has received years of extensive tests which ensure that
it is a reliable source of time for others. They do not feel that chrony has
received the same attention. Maybe the chrony algorithm is unstable in certain
situations which will cause it to deliver wildly inaccurate time to queries. (Unlike ntpd which can actually step regularly if your local clock rate is of
the order of 500PPM out).

Are there any notes on configuration for acting as a public server? Is
anything else needed than "allow" in the config file? Security?
Preventing abuse, particularly denial of service?  Are there a known

Nope. That is your problem. If you get hammered like ntpd servers have, with
10000 queries a second which cause the system to crash, that is your problem.

chunk of users using chrony for public service?

Not that I know of, and as I said the response of at least some when I asked
about using chrony in the pool was negative. Mills' response was (paraphrase)
-- We have ways of determining if you are running ntpd or not.

Thanks

Ed W

---

---