Re: [chrony-dev] timepps.h and pps support in chrony

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 10:49:53AM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:
> PPS support-- pps support is reliant on timepps.h being available in either
> /usr/include or /usr/include/sys (those are what are tested by configure), but
> the kernel people do not supply timepps.h. I vaguely recall there being finger
> pointing exercises over in the ntpd discussion as to who should be supplying
> timepps.h, meaning noone does and it is left to the users to do so.

My view on this is that timepps.h should be reworked into a proper
library (e.g. libpps) with a header file that just declares the API
and the actual implementation is in a shared object chronyd/ntpd can
link with. The kernel provides ioctls and shouldn't be concerned with
the RFC 2783 API.

> I mention this because Mageia distributes chrony, but it does not have PPS
> support, primarily I guess  because the packager did not realise the necessity of
> timepps.h or because of worries about having chrony source rpm stick stuff into
> /usr/include. I recompiled after sticking timepps.h into /usr/include, and it
> works fine.

In Fedora we have that file in the pps-tools-devel package. It's
required for building by three packages: chrony, ntp and gpsd.