Re: [chrony-dev] timepps.h and pps support in chrony

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 10:49:53AM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:
PPS support-- pps support is reliant on timepps.h being available in either
/usr/include or /usr/include/sys (those are what are tested by configure), but
the kernel people do not supply timepps.h. I vaguely recall there being finger
pointing exercises over in the ntpd discussion as to who should be supplying
timepps.h, meaning noone does and it is left to the users to do so.

My view on this is that timepps.h should be reworked into a proper
library (e.g. libpps) with a header file that just declares the API
and the actual implementation is in a shared object chronyd/ntpd can
link with. The kernel provides ioctls and shouldn't be concerned with
the RFC 2783 API.

Well, pps_core, pps-ldisc  are modules in the kernel, and it seems taht
timepps.h is really needed to access the ioctls of those, so should it not be
in the kernel?

I mention this because Mageia distributes chrony, but it does not have PPS
support, primarily I guess  because the packager did not realise the necessity of
timepps.h or because of worries about having chrony source rpm stick stuff into
/usr/include. I recompiled after sticking timepps.h into /usr/include, and it
works fine.

In Fedora we have that file in the pps-tools-devel package. It's
required for building by three packages: chrony, ntp and gpsd.

Yes, I discovered that that has been true since Fedora 15. The maintainer on Mageia
was misinformed.